Solar & Wind Power Information Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the questions to view the answers.

Is a permit required for installation of solar panels, collectors and/or wind turbines?

Yes. A building and electrical permit is required. Call your local zoning department to inquire if a zoning permit is required.

What are the fees for these permits?

Residential fee is $50.00 plus 1% state surcharge
Commercial fee is $400.00 plus 3% state surcharge
(Note: These fees do not include zoning cost. Please contact your zoning department for permit cost.)

Is an Engineer’s seal required on all plans?

No, not on all work but this depends on the complexity of work being done.

What type of inspections is performed?

For pole mounted solar panels or wind turbines a footer inspection is done. An electrical trench and service release may be required along with a final building and electric. This depends on the type and how extensive the work being performed is.

How much notice is required for an inspection?

24 hours

Can I get a time for an inspection?

Yes. Please call between the hours of 8am and 9am the day of the inspection.

How long does it take to get a permit?

The Building and Electrical plan review takes 3 to 5 business days.